Avro Lancaster 'Just Jane' runs up her four Rolls-Royce Merlin 24 engines at Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre.
She was built by Austin Motors at Longbridge in April 1945, part of a batch of 150 B Mk VII Avro Lancasters destined for service in the Far East. However, cessation of hostilities against Japan resulted in her immediately being surplus to requirements and going in to storage for the next seven years. In 1952 she was bought and operated by the French Government as a maritime patrol aircraft latterly performing air sea rescue and cartography roles in the South Pacific. She was retired in 1964, flown to Sydney then the 12,000 miles back to the UK. After a few more twists and turns, including 10 years as a gate guardian at RAF Scampton, she finally arrived in East Kirkby in 1987. It is hoped to eventually return her to airworthy condition and join the two remaining airworthy Lancs.
This image is a composite of two images taken during a TimeLine Events photoshoot. The sky and aircraft from one engine run and the wet apron from a second engine run an hour later. The engine starter trolley has also been cloned out.